Arborbrook Christian Academy
Lower School Teacher
Arborbrook Christian Academy is seeking a lower school teacher capable of teaching various elementary grades.
Arborbrook Christian Academy in Matthews, NC is seeking a lower school teacher capable of teaching various elementary grades. Teachers are responsible for teaching our rich and unique curriculum to a small group of students. The position includes planning lessons, grading papers, and engaging with students and families in a positive way.
Our school is a four-day a week Charlotte Mason Christian school and our hours are 8:45-2:45 so we try to use the time with students well. Class sizes are small at Arborbrook, with a maximum of 14 students per section.
All teachers must have:
1. A heart for God. They will be born-again, Bible-believing Christians in a growing relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
2. A love for children. They will be kind, nurturing individuals who enjoy spending time with young people.
3. An ability to be a positive role model. They will do their best to live a life that is pleasing to God and therefore serve as a model for our young people.
4. A call on his or her life to be a teacher. They will feel that teaching is one of their spiritual gifts and feel a call on their lives to teach and impact the next generation of Christ followers.
5. A dedication to the vision and mission of Arborbrook. They will have a thorough understanding of and be in agreement with the vision and mission of the school.
6. A teachable spirit. They must be open to training from a supervising teacher and the academic director. A positive attitude and cheerful demeanor should accompany their teachable spirit.
7. A four-year college degree preferably in Elementary Education.
Responsibilities of lower school teachers includes the following:
A. Teach a small class (approx.12-14) of students every day, Monday-Thursday. Subjects to be taught include Language Arts, Inspirational Studies, and History & Geography, Science, Math, and Bible.
B. Follow the curriculum guide and use materials provided.
C. Assess students on a regular basis according to school assessment standards, best practices, and authentic assessment principles.
D. Prepare regular grade or narrative reports electronically (on a trimester basis).
E. Prepare mid-term indicator reports (on a trimester basis, grades 4-6 only).
F. Prepare for one parent conference on a Friday in October.
G. Meet with parents after school as needed/requested.
H. Send out a weekly newsletter to parents to fill them in on what has been happening that week in class. Communicate with parents concerning poor grades or behavior as appropriate.
I. Encourage students in their weaknesses and praise students in their areas of strength.
J. At all times be a good role model for students.
K. Adhere to school handbooks and maintain classroom discipline.
L. Attend Wednesday morning faculty meetings (7:55 a.m. every Wednesday).
M. Lead K-6 Assembly 3-4 times a year
N. Complete 20+ hours of professional development annually
This specific position also requires:
1. Excellent grammar and the ability to write well.
2. Classroom experience is required.
3. Someone with an education background (teacher training) is preferred.
4. Someone familiar with Charlotte Mason’s ideas, but training will be provided.
5. Proficiency in our school management system (SIS/FACTS) and ease with technology in general. *Required Sum
A bachelors degree is required, preferably in education. Further education is desirable.
Contact Arborbrook Christian Academy