Northern Michigan Christian School
Development and Finance Director
The Development and Finance Director will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Head of School.
From its beginnings in 1911, through today, our Mission of “educating God’s children by challenging minds, nurturing hearts, and developing gifts for service in Christ’s kingdom” has remained our guiding principle. We do this by operating an Early Childhood- 12th grade program that today includes more than 300 students enrolled at NMCS representing more than 30 different Christian churches. We strive to be the most compelling choice in Northern Michigan for those families seeking a distinctively Christian Education for their children.
For more information, please visit: http://www.nmcs.us/
The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, donor development, business planning and budgeting.The Director of Finance will play a critical role in partnering with the executive leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as NMCS continues to enhance the quality of its educational services and increases its presence in our communities. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the capacity of a well-respected, high-impact Christian organization.
- Develop relationships with current and new donors
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- A passion for working in Christ’s kingdom
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Northern Michigan Christian School.
- Minimum of a BA or Equivalent Experience.
- At least seven to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
Contact Northern Michigan Christian School
Search Committee Chair