Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill
Director of Athletics
Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill seeks an experienced and engaging leader to direct all aspects of Trinity’s interscholastic athletic programs
Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill seeks an experienced and engaging leader to direct all aspects of Trinity’s interscholastic athletic programs.
Trinity’s Director of Athletics is responsible for carrying out the school’s Christian mission while leading an athletic program which serves both aspiring college athletes and recreational athletes equally well.The Director of Athletics is a member of the school’s senior staff. In addition to coordinating all athletic offerings, the director supervises all coaches and physical education teachers, the athletic trainer, and the Middle School Athletic Director.
This is a full-time, 12 months a year position. This position reports to Trinity's Assistant Head of School. The start date is on or before July 1, 2019. The application deadline is 4:00 pm on November 30, 2018.
To apply for this position, please click below to fill out the Trinity School Application and attach a cover letter and resume. College transcripts, licensure certificates and reference letters may also be attached. .
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- To direct the athletic program within the philosophy of the school and the guidelines determined by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School and, with the aid of fellow coaches, see that it is implemented.
- To promote high standards of sportsmanship by Trinity School students, parents and coaches. The Director shall work to develop good relations with other schools based on healthy competition and sportsmanship.
- To recommend to the Head of School and Assistant Head of School what interscholastic teams and/or recreational programs, and how many levels of each, will be offered at Trinity School.
- To supervise all of the Trinity School coaches. The Director will annually advise the Assistant Head of School on coaching assignments.
- To work with the Human Resources/Business Office to ensure all coaches have completed and signed all hiring paperwork including I-9 documentation and coaching stipend sheets before their first day of coaching.
- To act as a liaison between the Trinity School coaching staff and the Assistant Head of School and handle any problem arising on the coaching staff. Any significant problem should be reported to the Assistant Head of School or Head of School for action.
- To approve, with the Head of School or Assistant Head of School, any use of outside personnel in the athletic program.
- To submit to the Business Manager during budget preparation time the projected athletic budget for the coming school year and adhere to it.
- To arrange, with the advice of the coaches and the approval of the Head of School or Assistant Head of School, the scheduling of all athletic contests. The Director shall distribute the schedule to all coaches, parents and students prior to each athletic season and inform them of any changes in the printed schedule.
- To maintain good public relations with parents and teachers by keeping them informed about the athletic program.
- To work with the academic directors and the Assistant Head of School to provide and staff developmentally appropriate health and physical education courses in grades TK-12.
- To work with Directors of Upper School and Middle School to maintain a healthy balance of academics and athletics, and also work with the Director regarding any academic probation issues.
- To make an effort to see that the athletic program receives regular and timely publicity in the local media (with guidance and assistance from the Director of Marketing).
- To assume possible coaching and teaching assignments as needed and approved by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School.
- To determine and schedule athletic facility use and rental by outside individuals and groups.
- To represent Trinity School at the Tri-TAC Conference level and State (NCISAA) level.
- To oversee student transportation for athletic events.
- To maintain and schedule all school vehicles for use by teachers and coaches.
- To organize and oversee the Athletic Booster Club.
- To work closely with the Advancement Director on any fundraising for athletics.
- To be an active and collaborative member of the Senior Staff team.
- To attend Board meetings as requested by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School.
- To work together with the Director of Enrollment Management to present Trinity Athletics in a clear and powerful way to prospective families.
- To ensure that all NCISAA rules for interacting prospective students and families are observed by coaches.
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreational Sciences, Sports Management, or a similar field in which athletic administration and human resource management are focal points.
- 3-5 years of experience leading an athletic organization or athletic department.
- Coaching experience, preferably at all levels (elementary, middle, high school, college).
- Certification in CPR, First Aid and AED.
- A graduate degree in Recreational Sciences, Sports Management or a related field.
- Playing experience at the college or professional level.
- Independent school experience.
Contact Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill
Assistant Head of School