Desert Christian Schools
PS-12 Skills Center Director (SPED/GATE/ELL)
Assist the Headmaster and Division Administrators in developing and maintaining the best possible programs/services for academically at-risk students.
- Consult and collaborate with general education teachers, administrators, and parents concerning students receiving both direct and indirect support from the Skills Center Team, including:
- Academic adjustment
- Social development
- Behavioral change
- Providing resources and materials, as necessary
- Regularly meet with Skills Center Team to discuss student growth and make decisions about support.
- Perpetuate communication with parents of students receiving services.
- Manage the flow of paper information associated with educational services.
- Responsible for supporting school administration and faculty with the proper implementation of all educational services provided to students.
- Review all evaluation results prior to the Skills Center Coordinators reporting to parents as well as relevant school faculty and staff.
- In collaboration with the Academic Dean, propose effective teaching strategies relevant to instructional practices and assessment results.
- In collaboration with the Skills Center Coordinators, create individualized student plans (accommodations, modifications, etc.) and review them annually, as needed.
- Maintain records of student objectives and progress.
- Incorporate a variety of materials into the learning environment to assist with the unique learning styles of the students receiving educational services.
- Supervises the entire Skills Center Department; K8 Skills Center Coordinator, HS Skills Center Coordinator, International Student support services, English Language Learner services, Gifted and Talented services, and all paraprofessionals and teachers who are responsible for providing students with specialized support services.
- Support the Academic Dean in training faculty and staff on rules, regulations and processes that are involved with the Skills Center education program.
- In coordination with the Academic Dean and the Division Leaders, the SCD develops and coordinates professional development trainings for faculty and staff with regard to disability awareness, inclusion programming and ISP requirements.
- Work to increase parent knowledge and advocacy through workshops designed to meet the unique family needs outside of school. Perform other tasks and assume other responsibilities as the Headmaster may assign.
- A vibrant and verifiable testimony as a disciple of Jesus Christ (Matthew 5:13-16), and of maturing spiritually in his/her worldview and lifestyle choices (Gal. 5:22-26; 1 Peter 3:8-17; 1 Timothy 3).
- A testimony of a passion to serve at DCS as a Christian ministry (Philippians 2:1-16) and adhere to the DCS Statement of Faith.
- Minimum of 3 years (5+ preferred) of Special Education experience, 3 years (5+ preferred) experience in educational leadership, and Special Education certification.
- Master’s degree required (in Special Education preferred).
- A degree in psychology is also preferred in order to assess and complete psycho-educational evaluations for placement and implementation of services in-house.
- Preferred Christian school background.
- Experienced in team leadership, team development, and skilled in organizational change management.
- Minimum education level required: M.A. (Special Education preferred)
- Certification requirement(s): Special Education certification (additionally, GATE, ELL, etc. preferred)
- Minimum experience level required: 3 (5+ preferred) years in Special Education and 3 (5+ preferred) years in school/site leadership/administration.
Contact Desert Christian Schools
Assistant to the Headmaster/HR Coordinator