Compass Rose Academy Academic Director
Serves as the academic leader, directing educational services necessary to educate Compass Rose Academy students to high standards.
White’s Residential and Family Services
Job Title: Compass Rose Academy Academic Director
Employment Status: Full-time/Regular/Exempt
Reports to: Compass Rose Academy (CRA) Executive Director
Job Summary: Serves as the academic leader, directing educational services necessary to educate Compass Rose Academy students to high standards in accordance with accreditation guidelines. Responsible for effective planning and delivery of educational activities within the residential treatment context. This position will participate on the Compass Rose leadership team along with other department directors, assisting with overall strategic and operational initiatives for the program as a whole. The Academic Director is responsible to supervise and lead the team of teachers and school staff. They represent the educational department to other departments within the residential treatment setting as well as to external constituencies such as community stakeholders, parents, educational consultants, and other professionals.
- Act as a role model and provide coaching and counseling to others in the academic department.
- Develop, implement, manage and inform academic systems and standards as determined by Executive Director.
- Facilitate development of school-specific systems to increase efficiency and complement the mission and values of White’s and CRA and to assure the quality, effectiveness and performance of school academic programs.
- Lead the academic team to appropriate integration and participation in CRA programs.
- Provide classroom instruction in core subjects and electives to students with social, behavioral, emotional and family difficulties.
- Coordinate and facilitate non-classroom experiential learning activities.
- Develop and prepare lesson plans and instructional materials.
- Assist in the development of Individualized Education Plans for students.
- Facilitate and organize the AdvancEd accreditation process.
- Work with the state of Indiana Department of Education to receive and maintain recognition as a Private School.
- Coordinate and serve Department of Education representatives from various states referring students for placement at CRA. Oversee contracts with those state departments.
- Maintain records and reports regarding each student’s attendance and educational development.
- Develop and maintain necessary policies and procedures related to staffing, behavior management and other academic policies/procedures necessary to maintain accreditation and support student programming.
- Follow behavioral management plans, policies and procedures and report incidents in accordance with White’s/CRA’s Incident Reporting Guidelines.
- Help to support, develop and guide students’ overall program success through participation in interdisciplinary team staffing.
- Participate in faculty meetings, parent or family meetings, special school events and graduation activities.
- Display and model positive interaction with teachers, co-workers, students, parents, and customers.
- Lead the academic team to constantly evaluate and improve the CRA curriculum offerings to meet the high levels of quality, creativity and fun that are important for our learning environment. This may include online learning options. Assure that all programming has the safety of the participants, staff and students, in mind.
- Act as the CRA Academic expert / liaison in the validation of all CRA curriculum through the lens of education and learning.
- Represent the academic department in establishing purpose, strategies, learning goals and outcomes. “What we do, how we do it, why we do it, did we do it” (Growth Model, therapy, health and recreation activities, experiential activities, parent weekend activities, etc.).
- Responsible for crafting and updating the annual course curriculum guide for website, incoming parents, etc.
- Document replicable model of CRA educational program.
- Represent the academic program to parents, prospective parents, educational consultants, medical and educational professionals.
- Work with CRA leaders to create a “Quality, Creative, Fun and Safe” learning community
- Create the academic curriculum lessons of the Growth Model (Bonding, Boundaries, Reality, and Competence). Teach and train these lessons to staff and students.
- Work in accordance with Vocational Director to develop programming that provides work experience opportunities for students.
- Create and promote extracurricular activity opportunities for students.
- Complete other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
Supervision, Knowledge, Abilities
- The Academic Director must live in accordance with Christian values and maintain a professional commitment to work with staff, parents, children and all agency stakeholders.
- Have knowledge of special or therapeutic services for students in an academic setting with emotional/behavioral challenges and be willing to work with residential, medical, and clinical staff to holistically meet student needs.
- Must be organized, able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have good communication, listening skills.
- Must have highly developed crisis management/conflict resolution skills.
- Must be able to provide effective supervision, training, evaluation and discipline of staff.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to maintain professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- Must be committed to the Mission, Core Values, and Vision of White’s Residential and Family Services.
- Must be able to actively participate in the physical restraint of students who are in crisis (expected to meet the requirements of Mindset physical restraints).
- Must be able to handle the stress of intervening in crisis situations, handling medical emergencies, and making decisions quickly.
- Must be able to do significant amount of walking.
- Must be able to provide leadership for crisis, reporting issues, etc.
- Normal work hours will be Monday through Thursday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. May be expected to be available or keep office hours on Friday mornings. Responsible for operating a year-round school calendar with school days being Monday-Thursday.
- Must be available for quarterly Parent Weekends.
- Must attend work regularly and be on time.
- Must manage time off according to school calendar with use of personal/sick days with approval from supervisor.
- Must be able to work with residents' medical problems, including exposure to bodily fluids.
- Promote the success of students by providing extra-curricular opportunities, which include evenings and weekends, in a properly supervised and safe environment.
This person must be a Christian, possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in the area of endorsement, and evidence of completion of a valid teacher education program. A degree in Education or equivalent experience preferred. Must have a valid teaching certificate and/or the ability to obtain a teaching certificate in secondary education. Must demonstrate experience as a proficient teacher and school administrator. Experience working in a private school setting and experience related to school accreditation standards/processes are both preferred. Must understand and support the mission of White’s and Compass Rose.
Contact White's RFS