Kalamazoo Christian School Association
Nature Preschool Lead Teacher
KCSA is seeking a part-time Nature Preschool Lead Teacher for our new early childhood Nature School.
The nature school will provide student-centered learning in an outdoor classroom setting encompassing 4 habitats as well as a working farm. This school will foster a learning community, employ the best aspects of educational approaches in a curriculum that inspires creative thought, critical reasoning and the development of skills in a nature-based context. Kalamazoo Christian School is seeking a dynamic, energetic and forward thinking lead teacher with proven experience in inquiry and student-directed learning to facilitate a nature-based education. The lead teacher will be responsible for all aspects of the students’ experience and for developing strong partnerships with parents. This teacher must be eager to spend their days teaching children outdoors without hesitation to get a little dirty and a little wet at times. The ideal candidate has a love and knowledge of nature and the outdoors and enjoys educating children ages 3 to 5 in a mixed group learning community. Additionally, the candidate will: embrace the mission of the school; possess excellent written and verbal communication skills; function very effectively as a member of a collaborative teaching team; engage enthusiastically with families and other members of the school community; and embrace the opportunities and challenges of teaching in an innovative early childhood school. Organization, reliability, flexibility, and a love of being in nature are key to the role.
- Develop nature-based activities that reflect the needs of the children, the standards of early childhood education, and the mission of the Kalamazoo Christian School.
- Implement policies and procedures.
- Design and set up the classroom space.
- Obtain necessary supplies and materials.
- Work with Marketing & Development staff to promote the preschool.
- Work toward growing and expanding the scope of preschool offerings.
Teaching & Evaluating
- Serve as Lead Teacher for Kalamazoo Christian Nature School.
- Generate weekly lesson plans that focus on students’ interests.
- Design and teach preschool summer camps if desired.
- This position reports to the Preschool Director and Elementary Principal.
- Provide monthly reports to the Preschool Director.
- Interview, train, direct, schedule, supervise, volunteers as needed.
- Plan and facilitate parent and volunteer involvement in programs.
- Participate in Kalamazoo Christian staff meetings and special events to ensure connection with the rest of the staff and members.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Early Childhood Education or Environmental Education. (Master’s preferred)
- Working knowledge of basic natural history/ecology concepts.
- Experience teaching children ages three to five for 2 or more years at an accredited preschool
- Experienced and comfortable taking children into nature.
- Strong planning, organizing, and management skills.
- Experience supervising staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated verbal and written skills.
Contact Kalamazoo Christian School Association